Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Top Three Training Books for Dog Owners

How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days (Revised)

This is the book we used when housebreaking Toby. It’s a quick read and it seemed helpful for us because we had never housetrained a dog before. Now I hear about other dogs who still have accidents in the house even though they are over a year old and it seems hard to believe because Toby is so perfectly housetrained.

Good Owners, Great Dogs

I got this book to help with having a dog because I am a cat person by nature and wanted to make sure I didn’t wind up with a really badly behaved dog due to my own ignorance of how a dog should be treated. Growing up we always had pekingese dogs that were allowed to do whatever they wanted and they would always bite us and make messes all over the house. If I was spending so much money on a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel primarily to get the well-mannered, friendly personality, I certainly didn’t want to ruin it by not knowing how to take proper care of him! I think this book was really helpful because now numerous people have commented that Toby is the friendliest dog in the world. He has proven himself around cats, random children on the street, strangers, and even pet rabbits. This book teaches you to be a confident owner without resorting to over-the-top Caesar Milan “pack leader” dominance tactics.

101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog

This book should probably be the next one purchased for Toby. He does know a few tricks: sit, lie down, stand up (on his hind legs), wait, and jump. However, he only does them when he wants to do them, and he is overly food-motivated. His attitude is definitely “What’s in it for me?”! I think he is smart enough to learn tricks, and he definitely wants to please people, but being so full of energy it is hard for him to concentrate if there isn’t a treat involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment